September 10, 2013

Reviewing... [41] Out of the Darkness

Reviewing... [41]

Source: Purchased
Author: Nigel Hinton
Recommended for: It sounds odd but thinkers. Not just people that can think but people that like to think or think so deeply naturally. If you've ever thought about how science & things like religion go together, read this.



Despite my recommendation, this isn't really a book about religion. It's more than that- although Lelia definitely has a faith & this affects her actions (which is interesting to see but can I point how bored I am that I've only ever seen one YA regarding a christian just y'know... doing anything fictional, like Lelia?). It is interesting to see the mix of her serene attitude as she trusts in a "greater power" as Liam struggles to find peace at all & understand the implications of what Lelia says & the fact, at least a little, seems to have some truth to it. Lelia is a special girl, who has been treasured & has huge burdens. She copes with the burdens as she is still clearly cared for and appreciated for the lovely daughter she is to the Khan's. Liam has burdens but being around Lelia he realizes that some burdens & troubles are part of a plan, to be accepted & are good to have. Lelia is at peace with her path & the many troubles- she looks to the future. I get the feeling that Liam is not the only one weighted by his path. Lelia knows it too (she knows a lot, a bit of a Mary Sue but she's got reasons to be that way & isn't actually the one with the biggest destiny) & so do we.
I consider it probably the right amount of lead up to the main plot (make up your own mind, it's 25% of the book & definitely pretty gripping even though it's nothing compared to the other 3/4)- which occurs probably a year after we hear the contrast of their thirteen birthdays- but we come to understand way more about Liam & how he developed. I don't get the full picture of Lelia accept she's travelling because she's in danger. I came to pity her more when the story opened up & she met the boy whose life was entwined with hers- you guessed it- he's called Liam.
I felt so sorry for Liam almost non-stop. It didn't stop, even when the worst was over (that quarter is just torture to read if you're an empathetic reader, but it's a torture I appreciated & had to put myself through cos there was something rewarding about it, I also knew I'd see the light soon- aka. Lelia).
I don't know how I feel about there being such an obvious contrast between a light & dark character. Obviously, as the title may hint at, Liam came out of his "darkness" (not self-inflicted so he's not 1D/2D or anything) but really... Lelia didn't have far to go. She relied on Liam a lot and was a lot less 3D, or should I use a more traditional term, dynamic than Liam. Therefore, I love Liam more.
He made me want to cry, laugh, sob dramatically, smile, cry tears of joy and tears of... WWWWWWHHHHHYYYY?
I probably looked a bit like this:
(Nope, don't know who I've got a GIF of this time either...)

Well, if feeling sorry for Liam wasn't an occurence all the time I was never going to feel like I was on the same wavelength as Lelia. There were points I could've felt sorry for her but I just hadn't reached out to her, I felt sorry for Liam when there was reason to & sometimes he was upset because Lelia was, or something to do with Lelia. I completely gave my sympathy to Liam even though I knew most would, or should, be like 'Poor Lelia' instead. Tough. Liam turned out to be the one, who while miles apart- a gender & lifestyle apart- from me seemed more relate-able than his soulmate who seemed to use him. She used him, they didn't fit each other but they had a connection & he was the one that really showed that he was 'manning up' even though he hadn't yet touched adulthood by law. That's just so sad.
They both had to grow up so early & as only 14/15 year olds it's heartbreaking, and weird, how they take a journey across continents- traversing various countries in Europe first (the scope of different places & cultures is an amazing feature & this happens to be one of the books I've seen this best executed in), shortly into the main story... But it's believable. As a teenager, I related to their actions & the plot was pretty great. Lelia shares very little with me, but a gender at least, and she seemed a nice character. One that was created to like & give Liam things to think about, she was a better character than I've previously suggested. But she didn't seem the same age as Liam & I think that's why I pitied Liam. He was more of a victim & a character the reader has to focus on. Simply put, he's not just likeable. He's a lot more- flawed but forgiving, confused but determined.
The novel is often intense, there's a clear sign of right & wrong (but still sometimes quite grim reading). It's totally suitable for YA's & I do recommend it!... Shame the kindle edition went from 99p, when I bought it, to another £4* on top! I'm not sure if you'd buy it for that (I probably wouldn't) but I suggest that you keep an eye out in case you see it on a bargain or in a library.
Hope you liked this review!

((*It looks like older paperback editions can be bought for less than £3... I bet you'd prefer that! Check it out here at Amazon))

Amy Bookworm rated Out of the Darkness:
...and I wish you a good day! May 4*s be with you, and find you...

No comments:

Looking for something?...

#TBR

#TBR
My favourite hashtag.